Sunday, May 29, 2011

How do you make a living as a Realtor

I can remember back to when I was in real estate school, wondering just what in the world was real estate all about.  I mean, we all know that real estate involves the buying and selling of homes, but how does one actually get involved in real estate.  The classes had nothing to do with actual real estate, but more or less rules and regulations.  I passed the state exam on the first try, which if your realtor can't pass on the first try, in my opinion find a new realtor as they do not get the rules, regs and most importantly, ethics of real estate.  So now that I was licensed, what was I to do?

First I went to the "biggest and best" at that time, Coldwell Banker.  Coldwell Banker was just too corporate and I felt like I was sitting in the cattle car section of an airplane.  All the newbies were put together, forced to attend cult like classes, but not once was it mentioned how to start your business in real estate unless you have a circle of influence, aka mom and dad or your best friend, that are interested in buying or selling a home.  The only advice my mentor at Coldwell Banker gave me was to keep my head up but never really explained how to become a Realtor.

So after a few weeks, I knew that was not the approach for me.  I then went scouring the help wanted real estate section of local newspapers and found smaller boutique realty firms that advertised "having too many leads to handle and they needed to hire at least 10 people".  After seeing several of these boutiques, I decided to chose one with a catching name, New Home Center, because at that time, new homes were being flipped and sold even before they were built.  It was the rave all over the news.  But it was at this time that the real estate bubble was starting to deflate.  So while I worked on my leads the company never qualified, I was also turning to the help wanted section once again and submiited my resume to several online career sites.

"New York City Work Ethic" was my selling point.  After living and working in Manhattan for many years and then transitioning to Florida, I realized I was in the minority of people with discipline, focus and drive.  Give me an assignment, and the work gets done "quickly, better than you expected, faster than you expected, all with a confident attitude."  That is "New York City Work Ethic."  And it was this selling point that got me a job with one of Florida's top realtors, Lang Realty's top realtor.

Everything I know to this date, the last six years of my life, have been spent side by side with one of Florida's top realtors, gaining all the knowledge and experience and attributes a buyer or seller should want on their side in any real estate transaction, ultimately teaching me how to make a living as a Realtor.  Now at this point, I bet you are all thinking "so how do you make a living as a Realtor?"  That is the right question to be asking now.  That is exactly the same question I had when I begun real estate school, up until a few years ago.

That is what this blog is about.  Hopefully with each entry, it will become more clear what it is you will need to do to become successful in real estate.  Also you can view my website where I am getting into the oceanfront real estate market in Florida.  That tied in with my ramblings might one day help this all make sense to you.

If you are thinking about buying or selling oceanfront real estate in Florida, please feel free to contact me and we'll go from there.

Thank you,
Craig Greenberg, realtor
(561) 376-8540 cell
info@luxuryoceanmarket.com

No comments:

Post a Comment